Friday, August 26, 2011

Parting Shot

Do you remember the old standby in Life magazine? My favorite feature was called "Parting Shots." Some of Life's best photography was featured as a stand alone article, the basic premise that a picture can speak a thousand words.

Daughmer Savanna .............photo by Ian Adams (click on photo to enlarge)


A parting shot from Daughmer was sent to me by Ian Adams and I just had to share it with you. This is what a "real photographer" can do with a topic.


Ian's photo breathes life into the stately Bur Oak, Quercus macrocarpa spreading above the open grassland at the prairie savanna in Crawford County. Light gently plays across the grasses, which have been here since they were maintained with fire by Ohio's First Nation, the native Americans.


Thankfully, this will not be the last shot of this historic property which "freezes" the landscape in a past time. A time before the plow, when bison and bear still knew the lands of Ohio.


Thank you, Ian for this beautiful photo- a work of art. Special thanks also, to all the local people and the folks with Ohio Department of Natural Resources who labored to preserve this prairie for future Ohioans. Job well done.


1 comment:

  1. I went looking specifically for a photo of the Daughmer Savanah (which I fell in love with last Spring). This is just the uplifting example I was looking for to pick up my spirits on a day hinting way too close to Spring in the dead middle of winter! What a beauty, I'm so glad you shared this Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete