Sunday, May 8, 2011

No Place like Home...

Happy Mother's Day to everyone!

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know I tend to travel a bit. And while I love seeing new and exciting things, it is also good just to "chill" here at home. Today, I would like a share a few of those snapshots with you.


During last week's rain, some of the local fauna enjoyed an easy meal and some rest at one of my "bird" feeders. Bunnies hold a pretty special place in my heart, as they were my Mother's favorite. She has been gone four years now, but I can still hear her saying, "Hello, little bunny." We always plant enough spinach for us... and "her" bunnies.





Wildflowers? Sure, we've got loads of them. Most were already on the property when we bought it, but these Virginia Bluebells, Mertensia virginica were brought with us from Lakeside. I couldn't imagine spring without bluebells!





Rose-breasted Grosbeak, a migrant stopover




When I am not out botanizing or birdwatching elsewhere, I find considerable enjoyment watching the feeders here at home. Springtime brings exciting waves of fresh migrants, hungry from their travels. It provides a wonderful opportunity to enjoy some of these neo-tropical migrants up close, without having to drive to Magee Marsh.






Indigo Bunting has just returned from his southern vacation. He will likely establish a nest and family on the edge of our woodlot. I am accustom to hearing his sweet high-pitched song all summer.

And while he visits my feeder when he first returns each spring, he doesn't come to them for long. Once he is rested from his trip, he will sing from the highest tree tops overlooking the corn field and my garden. He is a welcome sight as I tend my gardening chores and bask in the beauty in my own backyard.

There's no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment