Thursday, October 14, 2010

In Search of the "Common"

Morning dew dances, micro-beads of moisture on viper-tongued flora.



Peeking out of the rarest of the bluestem grass, these coastal little blues found on Headlands' shore.




As birders search for fall migration, an alien catches my wandering eye.

Viper's Bugloss, Echium vulgare an uncommon, "common" weed I haven't seen in a decade. Not since I noted its pink blossoms turning blue along the Marblehead Quarry. Roadside or lakeside, weed with out-streched stamens, this brillant blue has captured my mind for years.


This outcast - an alien- lover of impossible sands and soils, finds an open space, tenatively sends down root and makes herself at home. "Bloom where you are planted," they say.
...
Hello old friend, so you have moved to Headlands. Who knew I would find you here?

No comments:

Post a Comment