Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dance of the Reddish Egret

A little eye-candy from Florida for those stuck in the snow. A fascinating bird, the Reddish Egret has a rather elaborate dance.. which is guaranteed to make one chuckle. This is actually a foraging technique, not a mating dance.

Sibly's Guide to Bird Life and Behavior describes it as "the most active foraging technique of any ardeid, literally chasing small fish through shallow water." It is a hoot to watch!



Hello down there-


I can stand real tall!

(Now you should imagine the bird madly running about-)




Check out these wings... I am a big scary guy!



How did you like that? Wanna see some more?


The photos are mine, and in no way compare to the quality of those taken by my good friends who are serious bird photographers! I am just not "camera-ed up " for those type of shots. I do your basic botany shots, and just can't resist the urge to document something exciting if it is in close range.

If you would like to see a video of another Reddish Egret in action, just follow this link to you-tube and enjoy.

Stay warm! Weedpicker

1 comment:

  1. I love love to watch the Reddish Egret..it just cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete