Friday, July 31, 2009

Water-willow


Water-willow, Justicia americana

A delicate water-borne beauty, favored haunt for dragonflies, the Water-willow forms dense mats along the banks of rivers, streams and lakes. The purple and white blooms seem orchid or mint-like at first glance, but it is a member of the Acanthus family of flowers, like Bear's Breeches.



And the habitat isn't so bad either. I spent the afternoon studying this vegetation from the shore of the Clearfork Reservoir. Good thing I brought along my binoculars for dragonflies and birds, and the camera to document them. Its a dirty job, but somebody has to do it...

6 comments:

  1. Very beautiful. You have such a rough life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Ohio blogger...and I love your blog! I'm just starting to learn about butterflies and wildflowers, and you have so much information on both! ...ditto HeronGirl! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome on board Kelly!

    Hope your continue to find and enjoy posts here. But I must warn you: this blog could be a gateway-drug to a hard core nature habit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A pleasant looking location, Cheryl - there's a special feeling around places where woodland meets water, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome water-willow! It does look like an orchid at first glance. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My, my...do you ever make time for work? Oh wait...that is work! See ya!

    ReplyDelete